Temporary Employment Visas

The most commonly used temporary employment visas are H-1B visas for specialty occupations that require attainment of a bachelor’s or higher degree in the specific specialty (or its equivalent) as a minimum for entry into the occupation in the United States. Other temporary employment visas include:

L-1 visas for certain managers, executives and workers with specialized knowledge being transferred to a U.S. operation of a multinational business;

E visas for aliens from specified countries coming to the United States to carry on substantial trade or to develop and direct an investment enterprise in the United States;

TN visas for certain Canadian and Mexican professionals or service workers;

B-1 visas for business visitors;

O visas for aliens with extraordinary ability in sciences, arts, education, business, or athletics;

P visas for athletes, artists, or entertainers; and

R visas for religious workers.

Differing factors must be considered in determining the appropriate temporary employment classification including the length of stay permitted in the United States, the nature of the U.S. business, the number of visas available per year, the site at which applications must be filed, the alien’s current immigration status (if any), the alien’s qualifications and nationality, and whether the alien wishes to eventually apply for permanent resident status.