United States citizens may ask the USCIS to allow a fiancé(e) to come to the U.S. to be married. The process begins by filing a petition at the appropriate United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) Service Center. An approved petition will thereafter be assigned to the United States Embassy or Consulate in the fiancé(e)’s home country. The fiancé(e) will then apply for a K-1 visa, enter the USA, receive employment authorization, conclude the qualifying marriage within 90 days of entry, adjust status to lawful permanent residence (a fiancé(e) may adjust status to permanent residence through the appropriate USCIS District Office after the marriage has been concluded), and receive a green card.

Unmarried children under the age of 21 may travel to the U.S. with the fiancé(e) parent and also receive status as a permanent resident together with the fiancé(e) parent.